There are many courses which future teachers and university lecturers could profit from — not just by being paid to arrange the courses, but also by attending them and learning useful new things.
Chalk: an introduction
The Essence of Chalk
- a materials introduction
- sidebar: chalk, cement and sulfuric acid: a lesson in inoptimal storage methods
- chalk, temperature and humidity
- chalk under pressure
- the flashpoint
- sidebar: the great Ghananese chalk combustion disaster of 1989
- exercise: experiments in friction and traction
Chalk as a writing and drawing tool
- legibility: which colors to use?
- legibility sidebar: diff’rent colors of blackboards
- fonts, scripts and chalk writing
- sidebar: blackboard bold and blackboard fraktur
- the room size and your font size
- sidebar: multi-panel blackboards: a hazard or a menace?
- exercise: drawing big giant circles
- the ideal of width and length
- your hand and the ideal
- when the chalk breaks
- sidebar: gloves?
- throwin’ chalk: you and the attentive class
- exercise: chalk-tossing circle
The blackboard as a presentation space
- points, lines and paragraphs
- the consistency of sectioning and numeration
- backreferences and planning your erasures
- exercise: timing your output
- skin whitening: temporary or permanent?
- “whitelung” and your health care coverage
- sidebar: do not wear a breathing mask, it will demoralize the students!
- chalk: is it edible?
- exercise: is it tasty?
- how do they work: smearing or picking up chalk?
- wipe once, twice or n times? diminishing returns vs. neatness
- sidebar: who wipes what: the standard, British and continental classroom wiping etiquettes
- dry or wet erasers?
- sidebar: the semiwet
- the optimum of wetness and the runny letters syndrome
- the super soaker alternative
- the “rasta dandruff” alternative
- sidebar: reconstituting the chalkstick
- sidebar (time allowing): whiteboards: the Satan in our midst
Review of the advanced courses
- chalk for intermediate users
- chalk masterclass
- chalk dusts and bellows: the art of dramatic entrances and exits
- white antiquity: an introduction to blackboard archiving, with an emphasis on authentication
- chalk and the outdoors teacher
- always wear black clothes: or, chalk usage on the fly
Based on this sketch, I could stretch this to a full-semester course; if I now just found someone to pay me, I would.